Geoffrey joined Tarlow Breed Hart & Rodgers in 2004 and serves as the Chair
of the Real Estate Group. He focuses his practice in the areas of acquisition, disposition,
leasing and financing of commercial real estate. His clients include property development
companies, property management companies, family real estate holdings, lenders,
and national and regional retailers. Prior to joining the firm, Geoffrey was a partner
in the firm Rachstein, Norman & Buchman LLP, and also served as an attorney,
and then General Counsel, at the CVS Corporation.
- Prepared and negotiated, on behalf of a Chicago Trust Company, loan documents for
a $25 million loan to a prominent Midwestern family, in which the collateral for
the loan was real estate located in several states across the country (one being
- Negotiated, on behalf of Boston real estate investors, the purchase and financing
with a national insurer, of a large parking garage in a Northern New England city.
The parking garage also contains a substantial amount of office and a small amount
of retail space.
- Negotiated the leases for the redevelopment of a large regional shopping center
in New England and later negotiated the financing with a European bank for the center.
The anchors for the center are a national home improvement chain and a prominent
New England supermarket chain.
- Negotiated a lease with a national drugstore chain, as well as the construction
documents, easements and other related matters for the development of a free-standing
store in an inner Boston suburb.
- Negotiated the purchase, development and financing with a regional Boston bank,
of an environmentally contaminated property in a Boston south shore community. Further
negotiations included the contracts regarding the remediation of the building and
the leasing of the property as a self-storage facility.
- Advised a major Boston real estate developer on the planning and layout of a property
in Southern New Hampshire converted to retail uses and then negotiated a lease with
a major electronics retailer as the anchor to the new retail development.
- Negotiated for a New York based developer the extension of a ground lease with the
City of Boston, and then subleases with several companies, including a major health
care company, regarding their transportation needs on a property adjacent to Boston
Negotiated for a Rhode Island trust company a series of Participation Agreements
with a Boston community bank. Also reviewed and revised the loan documents between
the bank and developer in order to facilitate the trust company?s participation
in several construction loans to a Boston real estate company which is a favored
developer in the Boston area for a particular national retailer.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer,
Boston Magazine, 2005 - 2007, 2009, 2010
- Fund for a Free South Africa, Founder
"Baystate Jaguars" (AAU Basketball Club), Founder and Immediate Past President
- Master of Urban Affairs, Boston University, 1983
- J.D., New England School of Law, cum laude, 1977
- LLB, University of the Witwatersrand, 1975
B.Com., University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1972