Bill is one of the founding members of the firm and is Chair of the Corporate Department.
He routinely serves as general counsel for a wide range of the firm's clients in
addition to more traditional engagements in the areas of mergers and acquisitions,
debt and equity financings, management led buyouts, strategic alliances and joint
ventures, corporate formations and operations, commercial transactions, shareholder
disputes and commercial real estate transactions.
- Massachusetts Bar
- New York Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- B.A., cum laude, Boston College, 1976
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law, 1982
- $80 million sale of specialty media company to a private equity investor and significant
re-investment by seller in combined companies
- $28 million sale of polymer compounding company to Japanese conglomerate
- Represented a U.S. buyer in the acquisition of the patent portfolio and other intellectual
property of a Canadian company
- Represented a European buyer in the acquisition of a U.S. staffing firm and the
subsequent formation, financing and growth of subsidiary companies
- Represented a strategic buyer of substantially all of the assets of a distressed
competitor in the specialized printing industry
- $20 million in venture capital financings for a specialized health care company.
- $21 million sale of a specialty chemical company, and related subsidiaries, to a
Fortune 500 company.
- The purchase of a division of a Fortune 500 company that manufactures highly engineered
materials together with the associated contaminated real estate.
- Private placement of common stock for a start-up consumer products company, subsequent
financings, and the eventual sale of the company to one of the largest consumer
branding companies in the world.
- Private placement of preferred stock for a manufacturer of skin care products for
- Acquisition of a physical rehabilitation company operating in 3 states at 120 locations.
- $20 million sale of a family owned industrial business and associated real estate
to one of the largest corporations in Canada.
- $6 million sale of an electronics manufacturer to a publicly traded purchaser.
- $3.5 million cash-out merger involving 4 corporations.
- $35 million permanent mortgage financing for a nursing home chain.
- $12 million acquisition and construction loan for a specialty health care facility.
- $9 million turnkey construction project.
- Secured loans on behalf of private investors specializing in lending to distressed
- Purchase, renovation and resale of commercial office building in Boston, MA.
- $6 million sale of an advertising agency.
- $7 million sale of an information services company to an international publishing
- $3.5 million sale of two family businesses and associated real estate.
- Appointed as the receiver and liquidating agent for a corrugated box manufacturer
by the Superior Court.
- $25 million asset sale of pharmaceutical intermediate manufacturer to multinational
- $20 million sale of a offshore oil industry supplier to a global oil services company
- Merger of a furniture company with public company and the subsequent sale to a private,
- Strategic alliance between a specialty insurance and financial services corporation
with a pension administration and benefits company and the subsequent acquisition
of a registered investment advisor business
- Joint venture between a management consulting firm and a global information and
- "Angel" and venture capital financings for start up enterprises in the
groupware, consumer services and nutracueticals businesses.
- Counseling start-up and entrepreneurial enterprises
- Bank and institutional financing of all sizes and descriptions, generally representing
Publications and Presentations
"Taking the Board Plunge...Five Essential Ingredients to Optimize
Board Effectiveness", SBANE Educational Series, June 2, 2011
"Missing: Public Companies," CFO.com, March 22, 2011
Featured on MYOB The Radio Show discussing disaster planning for
businesses on February 8, 2011
Quoted: "Gillette deal gets nicked," CFO, June 1, 2005